Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Giving

Yesterday the kids & I went to the mall to drop off our toy for Toys For Tots.  Before we left the house Breena & I said a prayer for the kid who was going to receive this toy.  We prayed that they would have a Merry Christmas & we thanked God for the gifts under our tree.  I explained to her that this toy was going to another kid who really needed a Christmas present this year.  The whole way to the mall I choked back tears as I thought of all the parents who cannot afford to buy their children Christmas gifts.  When we got to the mall I held Breena up so she could place the toy in the bin.  As she did this she said, "bye toy. here you go other kid."  Her words were simple but it warmed my heart that she understood that we were sharing this toy. 

I am so grateful that my kids will never know what it feels like to wake up Christmas morning without a present from Santa.  Even if we both lose our jobs & fall deep into debt we have such caring families that someone would be sure Santa came for Breena & Eli.  But not everyone is so lucky.  With just over a week until Christmas I encourage you to purchase a gift & donate it to a local charity.  It could be anything- donate personal care items to a homeless shelter, participate in a sharing tree, donate to toys for tots or Santa anonymous.  This is the season of giving- a time of year where I think we truly see the best in people.  We can't afford much, but I am overjoyed to give what I can to help make someone else's Christmas a little Merrier and keep the spirit of Christmas alive.  At our home we believe in Santa Claus... do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment