Sunday, November 13, 2011

Toby's Birth

I woke up at about 4am on the day Toby was born.  We needed to leave for the hospital shortly before 6am.  I had some time to kill!  I took a nice hot bath & even decided to put on makeup & curl my hair.  Hey, I was about to meet my son!  I had to look somewhat decent!  I woke Dave up around 5:15am so he had time to shower.  Dave's parents arrived around 5:50am to watch the kids and after one last preggo picture we headed out the door.  We checked into the hospital & I was taken back to the room to get changed.  There were three nurses/aids working with us that morning.  They were all so nice!  I think it makes the experience much more pleasurable when the nurses are great.  They started an IV of fluids.  I felt myself getting light-headed but tried to ignore the feeling.  It didn't work.  Whatever they had given me made me sick.  After a few minutes with a cold cloth on my head & a puke bag in hand I felt better.  They offered to give me an anti-nausea medication.  I accepted & it was inserted into my IV.  Uh oh...sick again!  This was not a good start!  With my previous c-sections I wasn't nauseous until I was on the operating table- and even then it lasted only minutes.  It crossed my mind more than once to run out of the hospital & opt to come back a different day!  But it was too late- I was already in my gown & hooked up to machines.  Fortunately the second round of sickness was short lived & I was praying it wouldn't happen again.  About a hour after arriving at the hospital it was time to head back to the OR.  Dave (who had already changed into scrubs) walked beside my back as I was wheeled back.  He had to wait outside the OR doors while my spinal block was placed.  For me, this is by far the scariest part or the whole ordeal.  It is scary to have a needle in your back.  And it is painful.  Once the medication was in place I could instantly feel my legs tingle & go numb.  And I was horribly nauseous once again.  The anesthiolosist kept inserting medication into my IV trying to combat the nausea.  After several doses it was finally kicking in.  Dave was brough in and sat by my side.  I remember holding his hand tightly.  A c-section isn't painful.  But it is the weirdest feeling.  I could feel no pain but could feel tugging, pulling & pressure.  My doctor then said, " you're going to feel a lot of pressure".  I knew that ment Toby would soon be here.  And then there he was.  Hearing him cry was a relief.  They held him up over the drape that covered my face.  He was SO tiny & very purple.  I felt a hot lump in my throat but the tears wouldn't fall.  It's as if I was too happy, too grateful, & too blessed to waste time tearing up.  I could tell his crying was labored, it sounded like he was struggling a little bit.  Dave went over to the warmer to get a good look at our little boy.  The nurses were gushing over him.  They kept saying "he is so cute!" and "what beautiful red hair" and "I love the name Toby!  How unique".  Toby needed a little bit of oxygen to help get his lungs working.  Other than that he was perfect & healthy!  Toby & Dave headed to the nursery where they measured him & gave him a bath.  I was taken to a recovery room where I waited forever to hold my sweet baby.  Finally Dave brought me our son.  He was beautiful.  His eyes were open & his hair had a tint of red.  Holding him in my arms felt so natural- as if he'd always been a part of our family.  A few hours later we were able to introduce Toby to his siblings who absolutely adore him.  What an amazing moment it was to have my forever family together for the very first time.  We have been so blessed.  I often sit in awe at how lucky Dave & I are to have this life together with our three precious children.  Toby completes us &  we love him so  so much.   









No comments:

Post a Comment