Tuesday, March 10, 2015
Best Time of Life
Now that spring is on the horizon, we've been spending more time outside. And it has been so FUN. Every year gets a little easier, and this summer will likely be the easiest one yet. While I find myself enjoying the fact that the kids have all become more independent, I miss them needing me. Make sense? Yeah, I don't understand it either. Right after Toby was born, I really struggled with him being my last infant. Everything I do with him, I do for the last time. When we left the hospital, I cried (and I HATE hospital stays). I cried when his umbilical cord fell off, when he stopped nursing, the day I threw away his bottles, during our last ECFE class, when he started sleeping alone in his crib, when he learned to walk... I did a lot of crying with Toby. But I particularly remember a time when I was newly postpartum and crying to my mom about how this part of my life is over- that she gave me the best advice. She said, "It's sad to not have new babies, but it's pretty cool to watch your own daughter become a mom. Or see your son accept his diploma. And to watch as your children's dreams slowly come true. This isn't the best part of your life, Kim. It's only the beginning of it." I didn't understand that back then. But I'm starting to get it now. I'll always miss snuggling a baby at bedtime. But the feeling of joy I get when I watch one of my children accomplish something they've worked really hard at is not even comparable to that. Listening to Breena read and finding "I love mommy" notes on my bedside table is pretty awesome. Watching Eli break a board at Taekwondo and seeing the size of his smile is gratifying. The day Toby learned to write his name he felt invincible and told me he is a "humongous" boy now. It's the little things that make this life so great. I do a lot more crying now than I ever did before kids. In a few months, I'll only have one preschooler left- the thought of it makes me want to throw up. I'm so proud of all of them and their little/big accomplishments. Even on the long & trying days I can honestly say that Mom was right. This is still just the beginning of the best time of my life thanks to the 3 most incredible little people (& their daddy of course)!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment