Friday, August 17, 2012

Breena's Major Owie

(Warning...TMI)

On Wednesday the kids begged to walked to the park by our house.  It wasn't in my schedule but it was a nice day out so I agreed.  Breena normally would ride her bike but she decided she'd rather walk.  So off we went with the boys in the stroller.  We got to the park and there were a few other kids there.  I plopped Toby in the swing as my big kids ran to crawl on the playground equipment.  they giggled as the went across the wobbly bridge and down the slides.  We hadn't been there more than five minutes when the accident happened.  I saw both kids playing on the bridge.  Suddenly they were both screaming and crying.  I could tell by the cry that someone was really hurt.  I ran over as the started walking towards the steps.  Breena had blood gushing out of her mouth.  Her hands were covered, it was on her forehead and in her hair.  I immediately lifted up her top lip.  The blood was coming from her gums and it appeared as though her teeth had been knocked in (hard to tell with all the blood).  She was hysterical.  I told her to walk to the stroller as I lifted Eli down. He had a big purple bump on his forehead with the imprint on four tiny teeth.  It didn't take a genius to figure out that the two had obviously run into one another.  And clearly Breena had taken the worst beating.  Toby was screaming in the swing because I had left him there to help the others.  I laid Breena back in the stroller (at this point she was shaky and still sobbing) and plopped Eli in the front.  I then preceded to push the stroller with one arm while holding my cell phone to my ear to call for help, and hold a very cranky Toby in the other arm.   It only takes about 10 minutes to walk from the park to our house.  But it was the longest 10 minutes of my life.  I got a hold of my mom who was luckily only blocks away.  I told her I thought Bree's teeth had been pushed in but I needed her to come take a look.  My mom met us at home- she pulled up just as I was getting to our house.  Bree was whimpering in pain.  Eli had already forgotten he even had a bump.  Toby was still cranky.  I lifted up Bree's lip again - this time is was clear that she need immediate medical care.  I called the dentist to alert them that I was bring Bree in as I scrounged to find her blankie and a cold rag for her mouth.  She and I left for the dentist within minutes. 

The drive there was horrible.  I was shaky and nauseous just thinking about the amount of pain she was in.  She was sobbing in her carseat the whole way.  I tried singing silly songs and telling her funny stories but nothing could ease her pain.  The staff at the dental office were waiting and took Breena right back to an exam room.  The staff talked with her and explained things to her as we waiting for the dentist.  I wish I could say that I was Super-Mama during this time.  But that's a lie.  The truth is I was a wuss.  The dentist came in and lifted up her lip and she wailed.  I got major tunnel vision, but snapped out of it.  (I use to pass out easily, for example I once fainted after seeing my sister's puffy cheeks from wisdom teeth removal.  Since having children I haven't passed out once).  In my head I kept saying to myself, "you are the mother. do not pass out.  you need to be strong for your baby. grow up you wuss. pull yourself together.".  He started to talk about Bree's injuries- tunnel vision again.  This time accompanied by feeling the color leave my face and nausea.  I politely stepped behind the exam room wall so Breena wouldn't see me faint.  The staff members were so awesome.  She held Bree's hand and just explained that mommy was sad and I'd be right back.  I sat for a moment with my head down, vomited into a bucket, and then felt better.  I returned to sit next to my brave little girl.  The dentist again started to explain to me that Breena had knocked her front teeth so far back that when she closed her mouth they were behind her bottom teeth.  They'd need to physically pull her teeth back to the correct position.  Tunnel vision and loss of color again.  This time an assistance must've seen.  She immediately piped in and said, "Mom I need  you to come fill out paperwork for me right now please."  Breena was okay with that.  She had settled down and was even talking to the staff.  They let her watch some silly shows on TV.  She even cracked a little smile.  I promised her I'd be right back. They lead me to a consult room and gave me a wet cloth.  I was drenched in sweat at this point and barely choking back tears.  I knew the wanted to give Bree the Novocaine without me present.  But I heard her let out a blood curdling scream and couldn't stay away.  I bolted back to the room and stroked her little face as the tears rolled down her cheeks.  She was give four shots to numb the area.  It took a few minutes to set in but once it did it immediately relieved her pain.  She smiled and talked to me.  And then it was time to pull her teeth forward.  I didn't watch this part- instead I held her hand & tried to get her to watch TV with me.  No use.  The dentist pulled her teeth and she screamed the hardest I've ever heard her scream in her entire life.  I just kept repeating, "It's okay baby, its all done.".  We were given our aftercare instructions and were able to leave.  I was/am so proud of my girl.  She was SO BRAVE at the dentist.  Despite the fact that she was in an excruciating amount of pain she cooperated with every request they had and never once batted a hand away from her mouth.  There were four people present to help hold her still- not one person had to step in.  Just the dentist and one assistant.   They were kind and compassionate towards her.  They made the situation seem not-so-scary and I believe it truly helped keep her calm.  And as she sat up to go home she even thanked them all.  What an amazing little girl we have.

We had Breena's teeth checked again yesterday and they were able to get a good xray.  The good news is there appears to be no fracture in the teeth or root damage which means they *should* heal okay on their own.  And hopefully the permanent teeth will be unaffected.  The bad news is that it is likely she will have discolored baby teeth due to the blood pooling in her tooth.  Her smile will never look the same as it did before.  Her teeth are still shifted fairly far back which makes her smile look different.  Currently, her teeth are still white but the gums are black from bruising.  She's also developed a lisp.  I'm not sure if that is because her 'bite' is different or simply because the top of her mouth is sore so she is talking cautiously.  I'm kind of a sucker for the lisp. She limps in the morning & after a nap complaining that her legs hurt.  We think she pulled some muscles because she was so tense when she was screaming.  And tonight she is complaining of a headache, to be expected also I think.  But all in all she is doing fantastically well considering what a crappy few days she's had.  She doesn't complain when I remind her to slow down or stop running.  She hasn't complained about eating only soft food.  I'm so impressed and proud of her.  It probably doesn't hurt that mom & dad (& grandma) have showered her with some special gifts to lift her spirit.  Breena is a little rock star- I pray she heals quickly.

As for me, I'm left with horrible memories and mommy guilt over ever aspect of this accident.  I shouldn't have gone to the park Wednesday.  I should've been able to pull it together at the dentist.  It is so hard to not feel guilty and horrible.   I'm honestly not sure who has cried over this more- her or me.  Seeing my daughter in such pain was wicked awful.  I've been wanted to write it out so I clearly remember what happened but even as I write this I have a lump in my throat.  To date this is by far my WORST day as a mother hands down (I'd guess Bree would rank this as her worst day ever too).  Bree is snuggled in bed sound asleep right now.  I'm grateful for that because even though it was a traumatic injury it could always be worse.

Thank you to everyone who helped us on Wednesday- the staff at the dental office- and my mom who always comes to the rescue!  I'm 26 years old and I rely on my mom more now than before I had children.  Thanks MOM!


Attempting A Swollen Smile Thursday Morning





Taken This Evening- beautiful smile!


No comments:

Post a Comment