Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Easter & Two Year Olds

I have been trying to read Breena a book titled "What is Easter?" the past few days.  This is how it goes...

Me: (reading from book): Is Easter about hunting eggs? I do that every year.

Bree: Where are the eggs?

 ***I point out egg picture***

Me: Is it about eating chocolate stuff? I ate my bunny's ear!

Bree: Where is the bunny's ear?

***I point out chocolate bunny***

Me: Is it about the baby chicks.  They're fuzzy and ...

Bree: Where are fuzzy chicks?

***I try to ignore her and keep reading so this book doesn't take a hour to read***

Me: they're fun!  I saw some Easter chicks for sale...

Bree:  Where is the fun?

***Still trying to ignore question***

Me:  I really wanted one.  Easter means much more than that.  It's all about God's son.  See, Got sent Jesus down to Earth to die for everyone. 

Bree: Where's the die?

Me:  He had to die upon a cross to save us from our sin.  But he was only dead three days and then he rose again.

Bree:  (frustrated)  Where's the DIE?!?

***I put the book down and turn to her***

Me:  Breena, Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sin. Do you remember where Jesus lives?

Bree: Yes. With Maggie (family dog that died in January).

Me: Yes, Jesus lives in heaven.  But he also lives in our hearts. He lives in Breena's heart, mommy's heart, daddy's heart-

***Bree lifts up shirt***

Bree: Yep.  In my belly button.

Me:  No honey, in your heart.  (lift her hand up to her heart so she can feel it beating)

***Breena grabs her stomach aggressively and tries to tug & pull at her belly button***

Bree: (yelling)  I can't get it open to see him Mommy!

Explaining Easter to a two year old is like trying to nail jello to a tree ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment