I went in for a doctor's appointment on Monday October 27, 2008 at 8am. Things were not progressing at all and my blood pressure had been elevated for several weeks. My Dr decided that the situation could become dangerous if we didn't get this baby out so he scheduled an induction. Dave and I checked into the hospital that night at 5:00pm. The induction officially began at 6pm. I labored through the night and most of Tuesday. I was given pain medication, which Breena did not like one bit. And my temperature began to creep up. Apparently I had contracted some sort of infection. This in combination with Breena’s racing heartbeat was cause for a concern. The decision was made to have a c-section. I immediately felt terrified and sick to my stomach. Several nurses rushed in and began prepping me for surgery. Dave called my mom and made sure our family knew what was going on. It took about 25 minutes and I was on my way to the OR. I was so exhausted I took turns opening one eye while resting the other. I did not want to fall asleep! Dave was such a trooper- he stayed right by my side reassuring me that all would be ok. Just a few minutes of laying on the OR table passed and at 4:58pm I heard it- the ear piercing scream of a baby. My baby. I was a Mommy. Holy Cow! I remember the Dr. saying to the baby, "its okay sweetheart" and then he turned to me and asked what “her” name was. All I could say was “well what is SHE?“ When they clarified that she was in fact a girl through my oxygen mask I blurted out "Breena! Breena Rose!" They held her up over the curtain and I got my first look at my daughter- a screaming, healthy red faced baby girl with dark hair. I felt so overcome with happiness and relief. I was so grateful that she was here and breathing and beautiful. And so grateful that labor was over. David went over to the warmer and began snapping pictures. The nurse then wrapped up Breena and brought her to me. She was the most beautiful newborn I had ever seen (and I don't even think I am being biased ;) ). I gazed into those big eyes I wondered if this was a dream. I realized that I had been a witness to a miracle. I closed my eyes and quietly thanked God for this gift. It was about a half hour later that I was able to hold my little girl. She was 6lbs 0.6 ounces and 21 inches long. When Dave handed her to me the look on his face is one that I will never forget. Pure joy & happiness. Breena took my breath away. I nursed her and cuddled her. I told her that I was her mommy and I loved her very much. My life was changed forever that day by this little girl. There are no words to truely describe a mother's love for their child but once you experience these emotions life will never be the same. Breena has taught me to love deeper than I ever knew possible.

No comments:
Post a Comment