Monday, October 18, 2010

Nicknames

Growing up I had some unique nicknames. Berlee, Berlee Bobs, & Babs were among the few odd ones I remember being called. While they were weird it was kind of nice to have a nickname, made me feel special. I didn’t really plan on giving a nickname to our kids but I guess it just sort of happened. We (ok pretty much just me) call Breena: Bree, Bree Bug, Buggy, Ladybug, Silly Sally, Bree Bear, Stinker, & Bugs Bunny. When she started to talk she would often say “that’s buggy’s toy!” I am honestly surprised that she knows her name is Breena since I rarely use her real name! None of these names are too terribly embarrassing, although I am sure someday she will disagree with me.
Poor Eli on the other hand, got stuck with kind of an embarrassing name. Since Elijah was born I was desperate to find a nickname that suited him. I felt that if I did not come up with a pet name he would think that I love Breena more! I tried calling him a few different cutesy animal names but nothing really fit. We call him “Buddy” pretty often, but that is not original at all! So I stopped my quest to find Eli a nickname and decided that we’d just call him Eli. This past weekend, Eli was racing down the hallway to get to a cord (his favorite thing to chew on!) and I yelled to Dave “Stop Wee Man!” . In that instant it occurred to me that somewhere along the way we had unknowingly given Eli the nickname of “Wee Man”. I’m not sure where it started, but we have both been calling him that for quite some time!
So if you are out in public and hear a crazy lady yell “Buggy & Wee Man come back here!” you will know it’s me! J

No comments:

Post a Comment